This site is for people with DVT, seeking comfort and information from others who understand from personal experience.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Swelling and knee pains?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Manon

PostSubject: Swelling and knee pains?   Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:45 am

I was diagnosed with DVT three weeks ago..pretty sure I developed it about 2 weeks prior to going to the doctor, and have been swollen now from calf down for about four weeks. How long does it usually take for swelling to go away completely? The pain in my leg is almost completely gone now and I'm able to stand straight up again. I really wanted to have an enjoyable summer, but unfortunately I cannot walk too long of distances or lengths of time (as I'm sure somebody would know what that's like) without my leg swelling up like a balloon. I do find that on weekends, when I'm able to just stay off my leg, that the swelling goes down, but I'm getting impatient, lol.

In addition, is it normal to experience a lot of pain when trying to crouch down on your knees? I have to do a lot of bending and squatting for filing at work and I can't let my legs fold (not even on my good leg) completely without feeling a lot of pain (like when your calf is folded under your thigh, if you get my drift)..yet prior to this I used to sit on my knees alllll the time and never had any major issues.

I'd ask my doctor but it doesn't sound like anyone who is handling my situation knows what's going on because they've told me nothing but to go home and take my medicine.
Back to top Go down
dero
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Swelling and knee pains?   Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:15 am

Hi Manon,

First off welcome to our world, we don't want to be here but let's make the best of our situation. You have to understand that none of us are from the medical community and anything that is said is based on our private experiences as DVT out patients. Anything you are told should be verified with a doctor, either you GP, a Hematologist or a vascular surgeon, in other words, somebody that understand DVT.
There, we have to tell everybody about this, it's the law!!!
OK ,I'm glad you found us and decided to join, first off, what are the medicine you are taking presently? When is your next bloodwork? What was your INR, last time?
As for the pain and the swelling, I was diagnosed last year and if I don't wear my compression stockings my leg will swell and hurt, mind you not as much as it was last summer. Walking is an excellent excercise that promotes blood circulation in your legs, which is what you want at this point, but not too much, you have to listen to your body, be in tune with it.For now, I can only tell you that it will be a long recovery, and that I think you may have to be a bit more patient with your body...Give it time to heal...
If you have any more questions, please don't be shy, we have many people that have had DVT for a while...
Back to top Go down
http://www.lifeafterdvt.forumotion.com
brendablackburn

PostSubject: Re: Swelling and knee pains?   Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:26 am

Hi Manon,

First of all.... Hi and Welcome!

Sorry to hear about your DVT, but glad you're here! There are lots of great people here who are very helpful and supportive.

Re: the swelling... I have lower leg DVT (right leg--knee to ankle. my story is DVT Diary from Vancouver in the Lounge), but never had much swelling... only in the 2 wks. prior to going to the Dr. and hospital, then one week after Warfarin. But I am a lucky case. Many here have had swelling for quite awhile. I suggest going into the member list and writing to Wendy... hopefully she sees this and posts... she can probably give you a good idea because she's had lots of swelling and still does.

Re: bending. Well, for me, one of the biggest clot areas I believe is behind my knee. So that means no crossing legs, and no sitting on my legs (which I used to do all the time---which is BAD I learned!), or kneeling on them. Even though most of my pain is gone, it still bugs me, and isn't good while that clots still in there I don't think! My GP said I can exercise, but as of yet I have just been walking lots. Not doing my regular exercises yet, which are kinda like isometrics I think (Jorge Cruise exercise), and include some squats, but I will be taking it very easy when I try those for the first time next week. When sitting try to elevate your DVT leg on something... it helps to reduce swelling and pain. When lying down, I hear it's good to have your leg raised about your hip/heart level, so I prop it up on a few pillows. I listen to my body... if it hurts I elevate it. In the beginning, the hospital outpatient program recommended I elevate after every walk, and recommended small bits of walking in the beginning, but to take it easy and really listen to my body. (ie. stop if it feels like it's too much.) Walking really helps me a lot, with circulation and feeling great, although I know that it's different for everyone's circumstance (especially when you have swelling). But even walking a small distance daily (depending on what your GP recommends) and elevation whenever you're not may help.

In the beginning, I found it hard, because I wanted answers, and was confused by the whole thing. I found learning as much as I could on it and joining this forum really helped me. Everyone here understands things what no one else can, because they've all been through it in one form or another. It made a huge difference to me. Smile

Thanks again for being here. cheers Look forward to chatting.
Hang in there... it will get easier!
Brenda
Back to top Go down
http://www.meetup.com/DVT-Support-Group-of-the-Lower-Mainland/
suesunuk

PostSubject: now that was what i was going to ask...................   Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:52 pm

seems your in near enough the same job situation as me with what your job entails so when will it be ok for work Sad
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Swelling and knee pains?   

Back to top Go down

Swelling and knee pains?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Life DOES go on after DVT :: Why does this forum exist??? :: The Lounge...-
Jump to: