Life DOES go on after DVT
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This site is for people with DVT, seeking comfort and information from others who understand from personal experience.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Is this possible?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Jen

Is this possible? Empty
PostSubject: Is this possible?   Is this possible? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 06, 2008 4:15 pm

For those who don't know my story I have a DVT in my lower right leg and am heterozygous for Factor V Leiden (I posted the long version of my story here. .
https://lifeafterdvt.forumotion.com/the-lounge-f1/newbie-with-a-dvt-and-fvl-t255.htm?sid=88baea3fdfbe74bce123df909acb629e)

I had an appt today with my family doctor to follow up on my rash that is still present and spreading across my stomach. We also dicussed my DVT (I'm awaiting my appt with a hematologist - Sept 5th). His concern was that the rash is lyme and is running some tests for that. I mentioned my left leg ( NO DVT was found in this leg during the one doppler 1 month ago that was done on it - my second doppler was only performed on my rt leg) had been bothering me with some dull tight pain. He did some measuring of my calves and said this left leg was slightly larger than the one that had a confirmed DVT. So to be sure he sent me for another doppler today on both legs (16 days after my second follow up that confirmed once again the DVT in my lower right leg had not changed since its inital finding June 30th).

So off I went to have the third doppler done. The previous 2 had been done at the hospitals vascular dept but this time they had sent me to a different off site outpatient facility. The technicial was less than stellar. Right off the bat she explained to me - "I haven't done one of these in a while". Wonderful! She proceded to check out my right leg and at one point asked me where my last report said the bloodclot was again(she had read the report before taking me into the exam room). She started rambling off technical terms. I said I couldn't recall the technical name for the location but that it was on my calf below the knee. She didn't go any further than just behind my knee and explained to me she couldn't find any clot. I was so frustrated. I explained to her that I didn't feel it could be gone in 16 days being that my doctor does NOT have me on any thinners what so ever. And at the very least she should be able to see some sort of scarring in the area the clot was located previously. She continued to argue with me. On to the left leg. She also found nothing there.

I've had 2 dopplers done before this so I have a little bit of an idea of how they're suppose to work. This 3rd one was different. She didn't seem to focus at all on the bottom half of my leg and stopped each time right behind the knee. The previous doppler technicians had looked at portions of my calf (which is where they found my DVT on rt leg). I was very unhappy and nearly in tears leaving the appt. I'm kicking myself for not asking to speak with the doctor but its hard to tell someone who isn’t listening to you to begin with that they don’t know what they are doing. I called my family doctor following my appt to explain my displeasure and request to have another one done at the previous location I had been sent to. I'm still waiting for a call back from them.

My question is . . Is it possible for my DVT to be completely gone without a trace left behind being that I haven't been treated with any blood thinners and its only been a short amount of time (16 days) since it was previously present and unchanged?

As much as I'd like to believe my DVT is completely gone I just don't feel this woman knew what she was doing. Thanks again for your thoughts.
Back to top Go down
Jen

Is this possible? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is this possible?   Is this possible? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 06, 2008 6:59 pm

Follow up . . My doctor called back and said he agreed with me that this tech obviously did not know what she was doing. He's going to speak with them tomorrow and will make sure I'm not charged for the procedure. He's also making sure my next appt is with the original hospital location. I feel relieved he sided with me.
Back to top Go down
dero
Admin
dero

Is this possible? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is this possible?   Is this possible? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2008 2:50 pm

Hi Jen,

Here is a site that has a link to doctors that treat F5L and they are listed by states, maybe you can check the list and ask a local doc about a lab that can do your INRs while you are away. (If you need them).
Open the site, in the top taskbar under "Find a Doctor" then choose accordingly to states...
http://www.fvleiden.org/

Hope this helps.
Back to top Go down
http://www.lifeafterdvt.forumotion.com
brendablackburn

brendablackburn

Is this possible? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is this possible?   Is this possible? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2008 6:47 am

Jen, I am SO glad you asked to be re-tested!! You must have been so darn frustrated. You KNOW your body! Go with your gut. I think you did the best possible thing, and obviously your doctor agrees. So glad you're not going to be charged. cheers Please let us know what happens okay? Good luck!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.meetup.com/DVT-Support-Group-of-the-Lower-Mainland/
Jen

Is this possible? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is this possible?   Is this possible? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 11, 2008 6:33 pm

Hi Everyone!
Thanks for your replies and thanks for that link Dero!

I got my results back from my retest . . no new clots thankfully. My original clot is still present . . which was expected.

I've learned so much in the past month. Most importantly you MUST be your own advocate when it comes to your health. I'm glad I spoke out and let my doctor know the test wasn't performed properly . . and that he believed me. Could you imagine them sending someone who never had the test done before and didn't know what to expect?

My blood work also came back and it turns out lyme disease has been causing my rash. It seems we've caught it early enough that I should be able to finish out my antibiotics and recover just fine. But like with anything this past month I'm taking that with a grain of salt and researching as much as I can.

Thanks again for your thoughts. I'm still waiting on my appt on 9/5. I'm working on trying to get in sooner.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Is this possible? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is this possible?   Is this possible? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Is this possible?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Life DOES go on after DVT :: Why does this forum exist??? :: The Lounge...-
Jump to: