Life DOES go on after DVT
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This site is for people with DVT, seeking comfort and information from others who understand from personal experience.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

My story...

Go down 
+14
Mckenzie
susan
p_vinay
Tika
CrazymamaLJ
Justmartha
blebs
TLG
RetiredNavy02
Ivpounder
Gismo
brendablackburn
Sharon
dero
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
dero
Admin
dero

My story... - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: My story...   My story... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 4:46 pm

OK, as for the PTS, what I was told by one of the many Hematologists I see, it will be painful and it MAY swell up, but the worst is the chance of getting ulcer in my leg. So biking is still in my plans for this summer.

Went and saw the surgeon on tuesday and I had a medical done on me, I'm healthy for the operation, but I still don't know when it will happen...
The waiting games, as long as I don't have any more attacks, I guess it's OK (I had two mild attacks in the last month).
Back to top Go down
http://www.lifeafterdvt.forumotion.com
dero
Admin
dero

PostSubject: Re: My story...   My story... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2009 5:30 pm

OK, I have my date with the surgeon, I will be taken care of on March 26, I have all my pre-op op and post op appt all set up, just have to wait for those days and out goes the gall bladder...
Had a unusual situation happen at work, everybody knows that I work in a theatre( live plays...) so we are hosting this show from South Africa, Johanesburg to be more precise and the I was backstage when one of my co-worker's mother had to be hopitalised and knowing that she was on warfarin (for her heart) I ask my friend if he told the personel at ER that she was taking warfarine that their approach to her diagnostic may be different, (that's not the unusual ...) but the show's stage manager was right beside me when I told my friend that every time I go to the ER, that is the first thing I tell the person working the "trillage" that I have a history of DVT and that I'm presently on anticoagulants. Micheal (the Stage manager) hikes up his pant leg and shows me his COMPRESSION SOCK and asked me if I had DVT, I in turn hiked up my pant leg and showed him my comp sock. This was the first time I met a stranger that has DVT or PE, specially coming all th eway from Johanesburg...

Gizmo, from your neck of the wood...

...and yes we are comparing notes.
LOL
Back to top Go down
Gismo

Gismo

PostSubject: Re: My story...   My story... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2009 11:07 am

Hey Denis

I need to play catch-up on all the posts! Wink

Hey, brilliant news that you are going to be off anticoags soon! Whoohooo!!! I'm really thrilled for your sake! Congrats! bounce

Glad your appointment is now finally set, you must be very relieved! All coming together finally. Looks like you are in for a great summer. Bet you cannot wait to start mountain biking again.

Hope my fellow-Johannesburgers are behaving themselves over there on your side of the globe! Hopefully he will join the forum too! Wink

Catch ya later!
cherry
Back to top Go down
dero
Admin
dero

PostSubject: Re: My story...   My story... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 19, 2009 1:35 pm

Hiya Gismo!!!

Long time no -see...
Glad to hear from you.
Yes, your fellow SA are behaving just wonderfully. THey are starting to prepare for their flight home and Michael has been taking his aspirins in loo of the flight (8 hours to Heathrow with a 7 hours layover then a 7 hr to SA)
YUCK!!!!
Glad that is not me.

As for me, I just go back from my appt. with my hemo and next wednesday I will skipp my injection (anticoag) get operated on thursday and on friday resume to a lesser dosage of Fragmin for 14 days,
THEN THAT'S IT!!!
No more, nadda, finito...
Because of my newly diagnosed PTS (Post Thrombotic Syndrome) I have to go to a more compressed FUGLY up to a 40/50 for the rest of my life, so be it, if that is the extent of it, I can live with that.
And yes my spring/summer is already planned.
Back to top Go down
dero
Admin
dero

PostSubject: Re: My story...   My story... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 29, 2009 11:22 am

Hmmm, all of that changed...
I received a phone call from the OR saying that my operation had been canceled, not delayed, nor rescheduled but CANCELED!!! That was two days before it was suppose to take place, due to some emergency... This I don't get, if an emergency occurs it can't be plan therefor knowing that an emergencie will occur TWO DAYS PRIOR to it from happening, it is planned.
Yes, I don't know whenI will get operated.
When I received that phone call I immediatly got hold with the Thrombosis Assessment and Threatment Unit to find out what was the plan of action,
I was told STOP all anticoags, so this is day #5 w/o anticoags...
Wish me luck...
Back to top Go down
Gismo

Gismo

PostSubject: Re: My story...   My story... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 03, 2009 6:01 am

Hey Dero

What an absolute bummer! You must be quite peeved to say the least! I also don't get how an emergency is planned so far in advance! Also, a person kind of prepares yourself for something like this and now to hear its just cancelled! Give them hell see!! Wink

Hope you get a new appointment soon!

Glad to hear you are at least stopping anticoags...excellent news! Congrats! Smile
Back to top Go down
dero
Admin
dero

PostSubject: Re: My story...   My story... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 03, 2009 2:20 pm

Not to worry, the receptionist at the surgeon's office knows my name quite well, ( I can imagine her frowning when she finds out who it is) Smile
Day 11 without auntiecoag and on that front, I feel fine and I'm not paranoid like I have heard from many folks that have gone off, actually I was waiting for that date!!!
How are you doing? As you enter your winter time, or soon.
Back to top Go down
Gismo

Gismo

PostSubject: Re: My story...   My story... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 03, 2009 3:48 pm

Hehehe good for you - give em hell! Although, I guess one does not want to get too cocky with someone that's about to operate on you soon Wink

Hey, all going well this side thanks. I'm actually quite looking forward to winter - we've had such a HOT summer wow! LOL, hear me moan soon about how cold I am! Guess, we're never happy.

I bought a treadmill recently. Today is day 2 and I nearly died hehe. Such good exercise though. I'm going to try my best to walk each morning and in the evening. Get that circulation going! Smile

You must be so looking forward to going back to biking! YAY!!!

bounce
Back to top Go down
dero
Admin
dero

PostSubject: Re: My story...   My story... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2009 10:56 pm

Tomorrow will be a whole month OFF anti-coags and things are still A-OK...
I have received my new 40/50 FUGLIES, not much of a difference in compression, I was expecting a more noticeable difference. But I'm glad I change brand, the SIGVARIS 40/50 are so thick compare to these Venosan 40/50, ah well, time will tell, the leg is doing well.
I contacted one of the nurses at the TAT unit today, I'm still curious as to which anti-coag I was on during that study period, was I doing Dabigatran or Warfarin?
So far there are still three new oral anti-coag that are in the third trial, interesting to see if the FDA will except them all.
Back to top Go down
dero
Admin
dero

PostSubject: Re: My story...   My story... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2009 2:44 pm

OK, I'm now a step further then I was last time, I have this surgery registered, May 21st 2009 at 13:30. Suspect
They can still cancel it between NOW and THEN...
Twisted Evil

Finally, I will separate myself from this faulty gallbladder.
IF...
Back to top Go down
Tika

PostSubject: Re: My story...   My story... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2009 5:55 pm

Best of luck and hoefully they don't cancel on you again. Take care and talk to you soon.
Back to top Go down
dero
Admin
dero

PostSubject: Re: My story...   My story... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2009 11:06 pm

They did... Rolling Eyes
When the surgeon shows up when the orderlies are suppose, you know something is NOT right. Suspect
My surgeon ran into some complications in the previous operation (so OVERTIME $$$) and the hospital admin. simply shut the OR.
I had my one on one with the administration to tell them I was NOT impressed, (it was not lovely...) this served more as stress release for me then anything else, you know when you are talking to a person that is just doing the motion and not meaning a single word that comes out of his mouth...
So, we will see what the future has in for moi... study
Back to top Go down
dero
Admin
dero

PostSubject: Re: My story...   My story... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri May 29, 2009 5:08 pm

OK, this is all water under the bridge. I was in the Hospital and left w/o a gallbladder, recovery time...
Back on one injection of Fragmin a day for the next 14 days, as precautions...

I can't believe I'm done with that, for a day I was starting to really doubt I
would separate myself from it...

Suspect

DONE!!!!!
Back to top Go down
dero
Admin
dero

PostSubject: Re: My story...   My story... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 13, 2009 7:42 pm

I am marking this date in my calendar,
First bike ride since 2006!!!!!!!
No century, no bushriding, just a ride on the sand roads in the area. I have lots of work to do to get back in the shape I was before. My cardio sucks (haha)and my legs are, well like mush. My butt, ouch, need I say more?
At least I'm back in the saddle, that is what counts for me.
For those who are just starting, yes, it does get better.
Some days, I had my doubts.Suspect
but it does happen.
I'm not saying I'm totally out of the danger zone, but this is only the beginning of the closest I'll get to what I once knew as "NORMAL"
cheers
Back to top Go down
p_vinay

PostSubject: Re: My story...   My story... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 14, 2009 7:59 am

Congrats dero,
you are really very fortunate one..
All the best wishes from my side for your future......
Back to top Go down
brendablackburn

brendablackburn

PostSubject: Re: My story...   My story... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2009 7:49 pm

Holy cow!! I am just trying to get caught up with your posts! Glad everything is better, AND congrats on your bike ride!! cheers

Well I'm finally back! Very Happy It has been craaaaazy! What can I say? But I'm here!

Just catching up with posts, so will chat with you soon!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.meetup.com/DVT-Support-Group-of-the-Lower-Mainland/
dero
Admin
dero

PostSubject: Re: My story...   My story... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2009 9:56 pm

Brenda, once again, I'm sorry about your lost and I'm happy you are back!!!
There certainly had been a void since your absence...
Yes, I' m the mend, finally.
Back to top Go down
brendablackburn

brendablackburn

PostSubject: Re: My story...   My story... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2009 10:14 pm

Thanks Dero! Smile It's great to be back! cheers

My Dad was terminal for over a year, with congestive heart failure, and it was a slow progression, from walker, to wheelchair and only bedridden for 2 wks. But it was a horrible 2 wks. So we were so relieved when his suffering was over. Looked like he had starved to death.... all bone. Blech. Sad, sad, but he's in a better place. I love you

Glad you're on the mend.

How's all the side work going? Re: the national assoc. How's it all going? Anything I can do? I contacted Agnes from VGH today, so we're going to try to get together soon, re: publicity, etc. Will keep you posted!
Back to top Go down
http://www.meetup.com/DVT-Support-Group-of-the-Lower-Mainland/
susan

PostSubject: Re: My story...   My story... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 08, 2009 4:56 am

h
hi
Back to top Go down
dero
Admin
dero

PostSubject: Re: My story...   My story... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 08, 2009 1:59 pm

Hi Susan, how are you?
So nice to see you What a Face
Back to top Go down
dero
Admin
dero

PostSubject: Re: My story...   My story... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 21, 2009 2:16 pm

Well that was then and there, PTS is really not any better then DVT.
You think to yourself " hey they are taking me off anticoagulants, that must mean that things are looking up, actually, they did for a while then the PTS that I had been diagnosed with last year is really acting up, my leg does swell (mind you not as big as when I had the clot) and with my work where I find myself standing for long periods of time can be excruciating by the time the end of the day rolls in.
So far, the only known and used treatment for PTS is wearing the compression sock (for me it's 40/50 comp. rate) all the time(except when sleeping), elevate the leg and not stand up for prolong time(ummmm, hard to do in my line of work).

For those that don't know what PTS is...
Because my clot jammed in my pelvis the deep veins which the clot was in, were damaged, lost their elasticity and the valves in these veins also were forced open and stayed like that. Hence the swelling and pain...
Time to see my hema again, have this checked out and get a new script for my fuglies...
See ya later...
Back to top Go down
Mckenzie

PostSubject: My Story   My story... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2009 3:17 pm

Thank you for sharing your story with us.
I have learned a lot from this post, again Thank you.
Mckenzie
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/Mckenzie.Joyce
dero
Admin
dero

PostSubject: Re: My story...   My story... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 25, 2009 4:38 am

I would like to extend my wishes to EVERYBODY, for verry MERRY Festive Season and a HEALTHY one... Hoping that we all stay clot and PE free...
Be well.
Smile

dero
Back to top Go down
DVT

DVT

PostSubject: Re: My story...   My story... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 31, 2009 12:45 pm

same to you dero Very Happy . happy holidays and a happy and healthy new year!
Back to top Go down
dero
Admin
dero

PostSubject: Re: My story...   My story... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 13, 2011 6:37 pm

Well, just back from the Emerg. clot #2 is confirmed. I go see my hemotologist tomorrow.
Another summer gone to hell because of health.
Had my Lovenox shot at the Emerg. and I'm waiting for my hemo's office to call.
You think you get use to this. but no.
Guess, I'll be more active on site.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My story...   My story... - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My story...
Page 5 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next