Life DOES go on after DVT
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This site is for people with DVT, seeking comfort and information from others who understand from personal experience.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Driving

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Pamela

Driving Empty
PostSubject: Driving   Driving Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2008 2:15 pm

I am wondering how everyone feels about driving.

I find myself being extra scared of an injury while on Coumadin. Not sure if my fears are realistic or now. I do wear a Medical alert bracelet now. I am also very conscious of being in the car and being able to stretch my legs.

Labor Day weekend is this coming weekend and my husband is mentioning going away and all I am thinking about is how I would have to sit in a car for two hours!!!!

It has been almost two months since my DVT so I have been anticoagulated since then...

Just wondering how everyone comes to terms with being so vulnerable on Coumadin. Or am I not as vulnerable on Coumadin as I think.

Pam
Back to top Go down
brendablackburn

brendablackburn

Driving Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driving   Driving Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2008 5:18 pm

Hi Pam!

I had my DVT in June, and took my first road trip (about 3-4 hours) at the end of July, then another one a couple of weeks ago. I just make sure we stop and get out every hour to have a stretch and walk around. I also wear a medical compression stocking (fitted) now, which is thigh-high because of my clot being knee to ankle. And I drink lots of water. I feel pretty great now, and will even be making a couple of flights over the next couple of months... one long haul across the country. My Dr. says its a-okay. My clot's slowly but surely dissolving... apparently I have about a 2 inch section mid-lower leg that is clear.... ALREADY!! Woohoo!! (I attribute it to fairly reg. walking.)

Re: the scare... I know what you mean. I wear a bracelet too. But I suppose I'm from the mind frame that what I expect, or what I dwell on, I attract. So I try not to think of the negative (re: Warfarin/Coumadin or accidents) and concentrate on the positive. Doesn't mean I live in a cloud, or that I'm not realistic, but just that I try not to worry. Smile I know it can be tough in the beginning though!

Have an awesome day and have a super Labour Day weekend!!! (As long as your Dr. says it's ok.... have fun!!!)
B flower
Back to top Go down
http://www.meetup.com/DVT-Support-Group-of-the-Lower-Mainland/
RetiredNavy02

RetiredNavy02

Driving Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driving   Driving Icon_minitimeWed Aug 27, 2008 9:28 am

Pam,

The fear of a reoccuring clots is something that each of us survivors often face after our clotting episode. All of us have been through what you are experience, be sure to ask questions if you have any worries or concerns. Besides this website, there are a few other websites which have some great information. Deb Smith, a good friend of mine, operates the www.fvleiden.org webpage. Deb started fvleiden.org back in 1998 and has compiled an awful lot of treat information to help patients.

The other website belongs to the Patient Advocacy Organization, National Alliance for Thrombosis and Thrombophilia (NATT). NATT was formed by a group of patients who met at the Centers for Disease Control and prevention to discuss the concerns over what little support their was for patients and their families along with lack of public awareness. As a result of this meeting NATT was born. Since then a lot of healthcare advocacy organization have formed but NATT remains the only true Patient Advocacy Organization (at least here in the U.S.) to support all blood clot/blood clot disorder patients.

As Brenda has mentioned, when traveling make sure you allot yourself time for stretching. Get out and walk around. Also stay hydrated.

Regards,
Tom
Back to top Go down
http://www.stoptheclot.org
Sponsored content

Driving Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driving   Driving Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Driving
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Life DOES go on after DVT :: Why does this forum exist??? :: The Lounge...-