This site is for people with DVT, seeking comfort and information from others who understand from personal experience.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Article found in my local newspaper...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
dero
Admin

PostSubject: Article found in my local newspaper...   Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:12 pm

Here is an article that appeared in the Ottawa Citizen(local newspaper) Some of the thngs mention here are very stunning, I'm waiting for comments from the Dr in question.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blood thinners not necessary for many women, study finds
Risk factors key in determining who needs medicine

Jessey Bird, The Ottawa Citizen

Published: Tuesday, August 26, 2008

When 48-year-old Diane Gauvin found out she had a clot in her leg last December, doctors put her on a blood-thinning treatment to avoid the risk of another, which could be deadly if it went undetected.

About one in 20 Canadians suffers unexplained clots, also called venous thromboembolisms, and they are the third leading cause of cardiovascular death. However, the blood-thinning treatment to prevent this trauma is itself straining -- and in Canada, doctors say about 1,500 people die each year from fatal bleeds.

Now, according to a study published in the Canadian Medical Association Journal today, hundreds of thousands of women like Ms. Gauvin may be able to stop taking blood-thinning pills.

"It is a royal pain," said Ms. Gauvin, a travel agent who lives in Aylmer. "It complicates even routine things like getting your teeth cleaned, because of the risk of bleeding."

In January, Ms. Gauvin went on the most commonly prescribed blood thinner, called warfarin. It's a drug also used in pest control.

"I wasn't happy with the warfarin and I really desperately did not want to continue," said Ms. Gauvin, adding that because of the medicine, she was forced to cut alcohol and green vegetables out of her diet. She also had to get her blood tested almost every week, and routinely suffered massive and painful bruising from as little as a minor bump.

"Without this study, I would have had to have been on rat poison for the rest of my life."

The international study examined 646 people who had suffered unexplained blood clots in their legs, arms and lungs. It was led by Dr. Marc Rodger, a senior scientist at the Ottawa Health Research Institute and a hematologist at The Ottawa Hospital. He is also an associate professor of medicine at the University of Ottawa.

Researchers determined that if a woman does not have more than one of four risk factors, she had a low risk for having another clot and may not need to remain on blood thinners. The risk factors included:

- obesity;

- discolouration, redness or swelling of the leg;

- blood that has an increased tendency to clot;

- being 65 years old or older.

Men continue to be at a high risk of another clot, and the report recommends they stay on the blood-thinning therapy.

"Blood thinners are a huge burden to patients, and a huge burden to the health care system," said Dr. Rodger, adding that 300,000 Canadians on blood thinners this year will be required to wait in hospital lineups to have regular blood tests.

"Patients jump at the chance to come off," Dr. Rodger said. "They do not like being on blood thinners."

The study was conducted on patients in Switzerland, France, the United States and Canada. The findings are now being tested on 3,000 patients in six countries.

"We've determined that there is a subgroup of women that aren't at a high enough risk to continue blood thinners indefinitely," said Dr. Rodger. "But they shouldn't make that decision on their own. It should be made in conjunction with a health care professional."

© The Ottawa Citizen 2008
Back to top Go down
http://www.lifeafterdvt.forumotion.com
RetiredNavy02

PostSubject: Re: Article found in my local newspaper...   Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:25 am

Hhumm,

Interesting. Will confirm legitimacy with my points of contacts and update this post with my findings.

r/
Tom
Back to top Go down
http://www.stoptheclot.org
dero
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Article found in my local newspaper...   Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:33 pm

Just an aside...
Why is it that MOST of the time people with no knowledge get quoted in the newspapers, or is it the journalist that change people quote?

This person certainly DOES NOT understand DVT and anticoagulants.

"I wasn't happy with the warfarin and I really desperately did not want to continue," said Ms. Gauvin, adding that because of the medicine, she was forced to cut alcohol and green vegetables out of her diet."

study scratch
Back to top Go down
http://www.lifeafterdvt.forumotion.com
brendablackburn

PostSubject: Re: Article found in my local newspaper...   Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:36 pm

I thought the same thing when I read this Denis! That one statement alone has me questioning the credibility of the article. hmmmm....
scratch
Back to top Go down
http://www.meetup.com/DVT-Support-Group-of-the-Lower-Mainland/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Article found in my local newspaper...   

Back to top Go down

Article found in my local newspaper...
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Life DOES go on after DVT :: Why does this forum exist??? :: News in the world.-
Jump to: