Life DOES go on after DVT
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This site is for people with DVT, seeking comfort and information from others who understand from personal experience.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Another new survivor

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
JULIA

Another new survivor Empty
PostSubject: Another new survivor   Another new survivor Icon_minitimeMon Sep 22, 2008 1:57 pm

Hi My name is Julia I live in the Uk
I was diagnosed with DVT on the 1st May 2008 after having a calf injury caused through playing golf.
How did I manage that you may ask!!.I twisted awkwardly and the calf popped. Embarassed
I was off work for 4 Months
I have found having DVT very frightning, I am always anxious, and have had a few anxiety attacks.
I am no longer the happy go lucky person I used to be.
I was always out at the weekends having a drink or two, now i do not touch it. I no longer accept invitations as i always feel ill.
The warfarin has affected me very much, I constantly feel as though something is crushing my lungs,and i panic if i have the slightest twinge in my heart area.
I have even been to a counsellor. Sad
I have read a lot about DVT, some of it has helped some has made me feel worse.
My Inr has finally gone up to 2.1 but has taken over 4 months.
My biggest concern is that after the 6 months are up in November will the clots be gone, I could not bear the thought of having to take warfarin for the rest of my life, although I am aware that it is keeping me alive.
What are the statistics of it coming back and in what space of time.

I have read stories from other DVT sufferers and their situations have been horrific, i feel luckier than most.

I know I do not sound very positive but this DVT scares the hell out of me.
Back to top Go down
brendablackburn

brendablackburn

PostSubject: Re: Another new survivor   Another new survivor Icon_minitimeWed Sep 24, 2008 8:21 pm

Hi Julia,

Welcome to the forum. Sad you're here, but glad you're here, if you know what I mean!

Sorry to hear about your DVT in May... wow--playing golf, who would suspect? Glad you shared!

I think most of us here can absolutely relate to it being scary. I totally understand!

I too, felt some anxiety, although it was discovered that I had a PE (pulmonary embolism). PE can sometimes give the feeling of anxiety and crushing. I had a heavy pressing feeling in the middle of my chest.... felt like my bra (in between breasts) was digging/pressing into my chest. I kept taking them off, but no... it wasn't the bras! They did an angiogram and found it. It was only (luckily!) a little one, and lodged lower in my lung, but none-the-less, that's what it was. They also found a 1 cm. scar in there too, indicating that I had one previously as well. Soooooo, my suggestion is to ask for an angiogram or xray. (Mine was the type where they inject dye into your arm.)

Regardless, they didn't discover the PE until a few weeks AFTER the xray, for whatever reason. But no cause for alarm because I was already taking Warfarin, so I was being treated as much as I could have been. But it still is important to KNOW!

Aside from that, of course it could be plain ol' anxiety. Most of us have had the heck scared out of us and then some. And DVT is an alarming thing to have, because it comes out of nowhere. Counseling is a great idea.... has it been helping? I think one of the hardest things is that other people (without DVT) don't understand just how scary it is. So I find it really helps to talk with others who "get me". Smile There are lots of great people here. I've made some great friends and they have all helped me get through this positively, and optimistically. (They also let me rant and vent, when I needed to!) Smile And they helped to educate me through it too. So I'm glad you came here!!

The stats to have it come back are roughly about 20% (off the top of my head), but of course it depends on a lot of variables. (i.e. how many risk factors you have, etc.) But, the good news is that means that there's an 80% chance it won't! Smile In the News section of this forum, I added the U.S. Surgeon General's 50 page booklet on DVT which has stats in there too.

In the meantime, hang in there Julia. You're a survivor and you'll get through this!! Stay strong and positive, and we are all here for you!

P.S. You can also send me a PM (private message) any time you need to chat.

Take care,
Brenda
Back to top Go down
http://www.meetup.com/DVT-Support-Group-of-the-Lower-Mainland/
Linda

Linda

PostSubject: Re: Another new survivor   Another new survivor Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 7:42 am

Hiya Julia

Greetings to another UK sufferer ... thanks for the message, I shall reply to it asap!

This forum is just the greatest place for unloading your fears and worries - and as Brenda has said, we've all had some really scary moments as a result of DVT and PEs. Outside in the world there's often a feeling that you are alone in all this, but on this website, you are among friends and fellow sufferers - we all have slightly different experiences and reading them or sharing your own will help heaps in your understanding of your situation. Very Happy

Take care and try to smile lots. I'll pop a few of my own concerns and coping strategies into a PM - cos I actually do think that every country's medical experts treat patients slightly differently - and here in the UK we do have some health service issues which differ from those elsewhere. scratch

Thinking about you and wishing you well

Linda flower
Back to top Go down
dero
Admin
dero

PostSubject: Re: Another new survivor   Another new survivor Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 2:19 pm

Hmmmm, Linda you are becoming the social convener here... cheers LOL

Julia, welcome to Life After DVT, make yourself at home and if you have any questions ask Linda lol!

No, if you have ANY querries, please do ask, we will try or best to answer them.

Keeping in mind that none of us are doctors, that we are simply DVT outpatients that are sharing our experiences and that any advice should [u] not[u/] to be taken as a PROFESSIONAL one. Please verify with your Dr. (the one that has all the piece of papers on his wall) before taking a decision.
Take care of yourself...
Denis
Back to top Go down
http://www.lifeafterdvt.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Another new survivor   Another new survivor Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Another new survivor
Page 1 of 1