This site is for people with DVT, seeking comfort and information from others who understand from personal experience.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

This is me!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Rob

PostSubject: This is me!   Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:56 am

I was diagnosed with a DVT on 30th December 2006, so as you can imagine I had a pretty grim new years eve celebration, although I managed to see in the new year with a small group of friends! The DVT occurred for no apparent reason and was frmo my groin down to my knee and also another one behind my knee! I have never has such excruciating pain in all my life.

Once diagnosed I was put onto warferin and had a weeks course of fragmin injections. After taking warfering for a little over a year I was told by my cusultant that I should come off the warferin for a month so that some additional blood tests could be taken to see if there was an underlying cause for the DVT. About two days short of going back to the DVT clinic for my blood tests I was displaying similar symptoms as I had with my original DVT. As such I presented myself at the local hospital, as it was late evening and the DVT clinic was closed, and they did a d-dimer test which indicated I did have another DVT and was given an intital dose of fragmin. So here we go again two DVT's in a little over two years.

As I'd been given a fragmin injection any subsequent blood tests to find an underlying cause of the problem would be negated or have proven inconclusive. At this point I was asked to join the Remedy medical trial, which I did, and have since moved on to the Re-Cover trial. The Remedy trial was a 12 month double blind trial, which meant I had to take two medication daily, Dabigatran and Warferin. As a blind trial I did not know which of the two drugs was a placebo and which was real. Once completed I moved on to the Re-cover trial for a further 18 months which is still ongoing!

Throughout this period I wore a very fetching compression stocking, which I still continue to wear today (not the same one and yes I have a spare so I can wash it once in a while!) as research shows that wearing a compression stocking for a minum of two years after a DVT greatly reduces the risk of another one occuriring, unless of course you are me!!

That's enough of my medical history, I can bore you with the fine detail another time, but a bit more about me as a person. I recently (April) turned forty, have an eight (going on thrity) year old daughter who lives with her mother but I see her every week and she stays with me at least every other weekend.

I have worked for the same company, a major publisher, for a little over twenty years in various roles. The current one being responsible for training and documentation of an inhouse fulfilment and distribution system.

I wouldn't say I'm a sporty type of person but running around after an eight year tends to keep you fit. I cycle a bit, mainly to the shop or maybe to the occassional country pub with my girlfirend of over 5 years.

As I'm actually at work while writing this I think I'll call it a day for now and get on with the task in hand, nose back to the grindstone and on with some work!
Back to top Go down
dero
Admin

PostSubject: Re: This is me!   Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:12 pm

Rob, after you finished the trial, did they tell you what you were on?
Just out of curiousity...
Dab or warf?
I think I'm on Dab, I would say, 98% sure of that.
Back to top Go down
http://www.lifeafterdvt.forumotion.com
brendablackburn

PostSubject: Re: This is me!   Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:27 pm

Hi Rob,

Welcome to the forum!! As always... sad you have to be here, but glad to have you here!

Sounds like your original bout of DVT was a pretty painful one. affraid

Can't believe you had another so quickly after coming off Warfarin. Ugh. I hope that at some point they can check to see if there is any underlying causes (i.e. Factor V, etc.)

How are you finding the trials? (We hope to get those type of research trials to the West Coast of Canada soon!)

Are you wearing the sox fairly regularly? I know many of us wear them at all various times, depending what we've been advised to do and how we feel. Mine are thigh length and yes.. fetching indeed. lol!

Interesting that you're in charge of training within publishing! I am a trainer and newbie author! Smile

Thanks so much for joining up here. A great group of people, lots of support, and lots of great resources.

Hope you're having a great day! Hope to talk to you soon!
Brenda
Back to top Go down
http://www.meetup.com/DVT-Support-Group-of-the-Lower-Mainland/
Rob

PostSubject: Re: This is me!   Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:37 am

dero wrote:
Rob, after you finished the trial, did they tell you what you were on?
Just out of curiousity...
Dab or warf?
I think I'm on Dab, I would say, 98% sure of that.

Dero, as the trial is still ongoing I've been told I won't know whether I've been taking Warferin or Dabigatran until after the results have been published, and only then if I ask my consultant to find out for me. Obviously any doctor or medical professional can find out at any time in case of an emergency as I carry a card in my wallet and wear a 'Medic Alert' bracelet.

Having said that, it is very likely that I am actually on Warferin as from time to time my INR is a bit unstable and my dose is adjusted accordingly. I'm told that if I were on Dabigatran my INR wouldn't be quite as unstable as it has been as it would be more consistent. My target INR is 2.0 - 2.5 but has been as high as 5.8 and as low as 1.2.

I've got my 10th scheduled appointment this Friday, for those of you not on the trial, there are a number of pre-sceduled appointments for check-ups with the consultant and additional blood tests to check there are no side effects. I'm hoping my INR is about the same as my last visit 2 weeks ago as that would mean I can probably go for a month without a visit for the finger prick blood test.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: This is me!   

Back to top Go down

This is me!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Life DOES go on after DVT :: Why does this forum exist??? :: The Lounge...-
Jump to: