This site is for people with DVT, seeking comfort and information from others who understand from personal experience.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Hello fellow clotters

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
CrazymamaLJ

PostSubject: Hello fellow clotters   Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:40 pm

Well then. Hello.
My name is Lori and I have been a member here for probably about 2 weeks. After an insane week last week, I am finally in a 'normalish' enough frame of mind to introduce myself to all you wonderful fellow clotters.

I am a 38 year old survivor. I say survivor because I woke up again today. I am a mother of a 22 year old son, and a 14 year old son. I love both of them to death, and they give me reason to keep waking. I am a wife of a great big beautiful man. I am a daughter of the two most supportive parents ever. And like Dero, I am Canadian. Please do not listen to him if he tries to tell you I'm goth. haha, Denis!

My story.. I was diagnosed with a clot in my popliteal vein on November 9, 2008. I had pain prior to this diagnosis for 3 days; I thought it was a pulled muscle. I took myself to emergency to get the diagnosis because I had a funny feeling..... I have a bit of experience with this monster due to the fact that I survived a PE 14 years ago.

The initial emerg dr. told me the proper procedure for my popliteal vein (pain in lower leg only) was ... NOTHING. No treatment. Oh well.. yeah... a baby aspirin. Go home and take a baby aspirin. He ran the genetic exams.. and told me to see my dr in 5 days when she would have them. I listened because I was naive as to how stupid this advice was. I was his clot pig. I say this because I am not a guinea pig.. they are much cuter I believe. No, I was his clot pig.

When I went into the dr.. she called the hematologist and got me going on Lovenox and Coumadin. Natually, the genetic tests were not back and still are not to this date. I stayed on Lovenox for 1 week, and my Coumadin level was fighting to stay at a 2. At one point it was 1.4. The clot had a big party over this and moved into my thigh. I only know it went to my thigh because I put myself in emerg again and requested an ultrasound due to the new pain.

Then i found out about the stockings. I went back to my dr and she gave me a very light prescription. The prescription for tired legs. Well DUH does it look like my leg is TIRED? So again, back to emerg.. to get a proper prescription. While there, the dr drugged me so badly I thought I was overdosing.. go figure why so many people are addicted to pain killer. Stupid move on MY part. Hubby ( I call him geeves now) said I had my head crooked with drool coming outta my mouth all the way home...bang bang bang went my head on the window.. stupid stupid me. I Did get the stockings prescription though.. oh and the triage nurse was SO MAD that I came in to emerg for only that.. so I made sure to thank her for her kindness ...

ADVOCATE FOR YOURSELF...... is one of the most important things I have learned to date...

So right now I am on Lovenox, coumadin and PROPER stockings. Whew! Now it's just a waiting game for the INR as you all know...

Between all this I joined Daily Strength and this forum. .. and met many other survivors that had advice and were/are so full of support. They GET IT.

I don't want to blather on and on. I am happy to be here.. and I do look forward to reading more material and continuing the learning curve for myself.

Good to meet you all.
BE WELL
Back to top Go down
dero
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Hello fellow clotters   Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:56 pm

Good to have you aboard Gothmama, lol!
You know the ropes already, glad you made it passed "GO"
We all learn how, not all doctors are aware of DVT/PE
and how to treat it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.lifeafterdvt.forumotion.com
CrazymamaLJ

PostSubject: Re: Hello fellow clotters   Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:42 pm

Thanks Dero! lol!
Back to top Go down
Gismo

PostSubject: Re: Hello fellow clotters   Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:24 am

Hello CrazymamaLJ Smile

Nice meeting you and reading your story. As Dero says, not all doctors are aware of DVT/PE or how to treat it. I for one have just come back from the doctor and he contradicts everything that another doctor told me two months ago. Okay, so who do you believe and what do you do?!? It amazing how many conflicting stories one hear from all over.

Reading your post I see that you survived a PE 14 years ago and your son is also 14. I was wondering if the PE was at all related to your pregnancy? I'm curious as I am trying to fall pregnant now.

Look forward to chatting some more and welcome to the forum Smile

Regards
Madeline
Back to top Go down
CrazymamaLJ

PostSubject: Re: Hello fellow clotters   Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:55 pm

Hi Madeline, nice to meet you. Smile

They said the PE was caused by a mix of natural hormones (after birth) and the pill which I had just re-started. I have heard about pregnancy and clots, but I am not an expert in any way. I was, however, told not to have another child. Not sure that helps you.

I finally get to go to a hematologist on Feb 4th. HOPEFULLY he will know a lot more than my dr. I have had a lot of probs with her... I will bring my list of questions!

Best wishes,
Lori
Back to top Go down
debbiemaclean

PostSubject: Re: Hello fellow clotters   Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:25 pm

Hello Lori: I have followed a few posts and just recently put my story on too. Interesting to see that you had a common contributing factor - the pill. How serious was your PE 14 years ago? Any change with your thigh clot? I've heard of others having a screen put in to prevent a PE until the clot either dissolves or encapsulates. I had an ultrasound done about 3 mos after the PE and there was still a clot behind the knee which they said wouldn't move - one has to hope. How's your INR now? Debie.
Back to top Go down
debbiemaclean

PostSubject: Re: Hello fellow clotters   Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:38 pm

Hello Lori: I for one would like to hear more about your visit to the hematologist - hope you got your answers. Debbie.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hello fellow clotters   

Back to top Go down

Hello fellow clotters
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Life DOES go on after DVT :: Why does this forum exist??? :: The Lounge...-
Jump to: