This site is for people with DVT, seeking comfort and information from others who understand from personal experience.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

My story about surviving DVT

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Evan

PostSubject: My story about surviving DVT   Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:56 pm

Hey all,
My name is Evan, and I think it's great that sufferers of DVT have found a place to meet and talk about their experiences. If such a place had existed when I had mine, it may have been an easier experience.

When I was 19 I was diagnosed with cancer. I had surgery to remove the tumor and I started my first round of chemotherapy. Things were going great until about a week after I finished my first round. I woke up one morning and my back was in excruciating pain. I couldn't stand up straight. I called the doctor and was told that it was just the chemo working on the tumor. So I lie in my bed for a few days in tremendous pain when I notice that my left calf is starting to swell a bit. This time when I call the doctor, they tell me to come in immediately.

After a very painful ultrasound, my doctor tells me that I have a blood clot in both legs that run from my ankles to my waist. He then tells me exactly what I needed to hear at that point: "This is the worst clot I've ever seen."

I am immediately started on Heparin, and am admitted to the cancer treatment center we have here in the city. The next week is pretty much a blur. I was loaded down with dilaudid every couple of hours. While I was in the hospital being treated for the clot, I also had to undergo my second round of chemotherapy...fun times. Again, this is all pretty fuzzy for me.

Suffice it to say, I did pull through in the end and I did beat the cancer. My haematologist did thousands of tests on me and figured out it was probably the cancer that started the clotting.

Immediately after my clot it was a very hard time for me. I was a major hypochondriac. I felt completely alone and that I would never be normal. I thought that because I couldn't drink alchohol that I could never socialize with my peers. It took me a long time to adjust.

So here I am, 9 years later, still kicking. I still take Warfarin every day. I will be on it my whole life because my veins are so damaged that if I stop taking it, I will clot again. I have a pretty bad case of post phlebetic syndrome, so I have to wear Venosan knee high stockings on both legs. If I don't wear my stockings my legs start to swell and they become quite painful.

Despite this, I am a very active person. I am a teacher so I'm on my feet all day. I ride my mountain bike every day during the summer. I play squash, badminton, and racquetball. My hope is that this story lets sufferers know that their lives can be relatively normal even if they take Warfarin.

If you have any questions for me, I would be more than willing to answer them.
Back to top Go down
dero
Admin

PostSubject: Re: My story about surviving DVT   Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:30 pm

Welcome to LADVT Evan, after reading your story, you are the true definition of a "Survivor" I tip my hat to you!!!
I thank you for sharing your story with us and do hope that people do understand what you are saying by living a normal life even while being on anticoagulants.
Thank YOU!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.lifeafterdvt.forumotion.com
Evan

PostSubject: Re: My story about surviving DVT   Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:12 pm

Thanks Dennis,

It's great that you were able to put together this community. I actually found it by reading an article in Health Magazine.
Back to top Go down
dero
Admin

PostSubject: Re: My story about surviving DVT   Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:19 am

You mean this one?... http://lifeafterdvt.forumotion.com/good-reads-books-or-magazines-f29/article-from-good-times-june-08-edition-t259.htm

Yes many folks have seen that article, it's in most Canadian hospitals. Surprisingly, the author had most of her research correct, you must have had to correct many misconceptions when listening to people talk about DVT and PE.
Vitamin K is the most misunderstood facet of DVT/PE, people tend to think that they have to TOTALLY give up eating greens as such, more problems resulting from that move. I'm sure you have heard the horror stories also.
Glad to have you aboard.

Denis
Back to top Go down
http://www.lifeafterdvt.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My story about surviving DVT   

Back to top Go down

My story about surviving DVT
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Life DOES go on after DVT :: Why does this forum exist??? :: The Lounge...-