Life DOES go on after DVT
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This site is for people with DVT, seeking comfort and information from others who understand from personal experience.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Hello All! - A little about myself

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
T-Bone

Hello All! - A little about myself Empty
PostSubject: Hello All! - A little about myself   Hello All! - A little about myself Icon_minitimeSun Oct 10, 2010 11:07 pm

In March of 2009 I was t-boned in an intersection (the other car ran a red light). My injuries from the accident included 2 broken ribs and 3 fractures to my left pelvis. The fractures were deemed to be stable so I was transported home by ambulance to heal in my own bed that same night (a questionable decision).

About 5 weeks into my recovery I was diagnosed with DVT in my legs from the hip to below the knees. I started the Heparin shots and Warfarin. After only 3 weeks on the blood thinners the Dr’s discovered I was still bleeding into the outer sack of my left lung and the Warfarin was stopped and 3 days later they fitted me with a Cook Select IVC Filter.

As time went on it felt like the DVT was getting better and the swelling in my legs stopped.

Fast forward to 2 weeks ago and I was rushed to the hospital with back and abdominal pain and I was quickly fatigued after very minimal tasks. I was admitted and thanks to an astute Hospitalist (I was sent X-rays/ CT-scan/ and Doppler on my bilateral veins) she discovered massive DVT in both legs and abdominal area. I spent almost 2 weeks in the hospital on Heprine IV. For a while there was some concern about my liver counts, but after more tests (Doppler to check the gallbladder etc, and a CT with contrast) it was decided the liver simply did not like the reduced blood flow due to the DVT and the numbers were moving back to normal.

2 days ago I was taught how to shoot myself in the stomach with Fragmin and released from the hospital to finish the process of getting to the therapeutic INR range on Warfarin again.

My Doctors are in 2 camps. One side seems to think I will be on Warfarin for the rest of my life, while other seem to think I should be able to get off of the Warfarin once the DVT is completely gone.
Back to top Go down
dero
Admin
dero

PostSubject: Re: Hello All! - A little about myself   Hello All! - A little about myself Icon_minitimeMon Oct 11, 2010 9:18 pm

EH, T-Bone!! (another Cannuck, yay)
Welcome to LADVT (wish I did not have to do this and that we could meet because of better reasons then DTV).
Many people, like you, have developed DVT due to "questionable decisions" by their Dr's unawareness to DVT, which is unfortunate for US, at least it is getting better, it used to be that no Dr. were aware of DVT just a few years back... (ok, a few decade ago).
Glad that things are improving, I would tend to agree with the second camp of Dr, since your DVT was brought on by inactivity, I'm sure you were tested for all genetics background.

A good friend of mine, actualy she is a member here also started a DVT group in Vancouver, you might want to check it out...

Brenda is the site organiser of
"DVT Support Group of the Lower Mainland"
http://www.meetup.com/DVT-Support-Group-of-the-Lower-Mainland/

Sometimes the personal contact helps enormously, talking with somebody that has or is experiencing the same thing you are learning to deal with.
They have monthly meetings and this month Brenda has a guest speaker.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From a Newsletter sent to members.

Reminder: Our meeting happens to be on a TUESDAY this month (October 26th) and is 100% a go! I am hoping for a good turn out this month, and was able to land a guest speaker from our group's speaker wish list!

Guest speaker: Lynne Mann from the Canadian Mental Health Association will be speaking about the emotional and mental health side of our condition(s), as well as will provide resource information and support options.

RSVP: Please rsvp as soon as you can, so we can let our guest speaker know ahead of time how many will be attending.

More info on the site...
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But back here, if you have ANY question, please ask...

Back to top Go down
http://www.lifeafterdvt.forumotion.com
T-Bone

PostSubject: Re: Hello All! - A little about myself   Hello All! - A little about myself Icon_minitimeTue Oct 12, 2010 2:24 am

Thanks dero,
I actually joined Brenda’s group just the other day and it was through that group that I found this group. I have not had much time to read too much of the information available here but what I have read has been very helpful.

I have always been very healthy most of my life so needles in the gut and taking pills to manipulate my blood is a little scary.
Back to top Go down
dero
Admin
dero

PostSubject: Re: Hello All! - A little about myself   Hello All! - A little about myself Icon_minitimeTue Oct 12, 2010 11:06 pm

Look at this site as a big library, all the literature comes from credible sites.
I hear you on the healthy side, I was the same, this DVT was the first life threatening experience I've had in my whole life, it's a whole different ball game now, it makes you appreciate life a lot better.
Back to top Go down
http://www.lifeafterdvt.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hello All! - A little about myself   Hello All! - A little about myself Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hello All! - A little about myself
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Life DOES go on after DVT :: Why does this forum exist??? :: The Lounge...-
Jump to: