Life DOES go on after DVT
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This site is for people with DVT, seeking comfort and information from others who understand from personal experience.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

factor II/Pradaxa?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
lainey

factor II/Pradaxa? Empty
PostSubject: factor II/Pradaxa?   factor II/Pradaxa? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 01, 2011 12:41 pm

Hello all - I am new to the site. I have had a severe DVT, a PE as well as a clot in my arm. Later I found out I have a Factor II mutation and passed it on to my children. I have been on Coumadin for well over 30 years and I am 48 now. Does anyone have info on Pradaxa use for this specific mutation? I would be grateful for any advice.
Back to top Go down
dero
Admin
dero

factor II/Pradaxa? Empty
PostSubject: Re: factor II/Pradaxa?   factor II/Pradaxa? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2011 6:37 pm

Hi Lainey and welcome to LADVT, like I tell everybody, "I wish we could meet due to BETTER circumstances.
For info on Pradaxa, specifically for "Factor II" it's not out there yet, the FDA has only approved the use of Pradaxa as a blood thinner for post op patients that have had knee and/or hip replacements and the patients with heart fibrallation

"New York, NY - Dabigatran (Pradaxa, Boehringer Ingelheim) will be available in both Canadian and US pharmacies as of today(November 04/2010) for its newly approved indication: to reduce the risk of stroke and systemic embolism in patients with nonvalvular atrial fibrillation, the manufacturer, Boehringer Ingelheim, has announced."
(for the full article see https://lifeafterdvt.forumotion.com/t554-dabigatran-hits-the-market )

There are still things they (the medical community)have to discover regarding long term use of Pradaxa for the care of DVT and how to reverse the anticoagulation effect in case of emergency.
It's probably not the answer you were looking for, but it's where it stands...
Hope this helps.

Back to top Go down
http://www.lifeafterdvt.forumotion.com
debrabwallace

factor II/Pradaxa? Empty
PostSubject: Re: factor II/Pradaxa?   factor II/Pradaxa? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 22, 2011 11:06 pm

Lainey,
I have Factor II as well as Factor V, my Hematologist told me that (hopefully) in a few years Pradaxa will be approved through the FDA to take the place of Coumadin.
Right now it is not FDA approved for the use in which you need it and therefor may not be covered by insurance.
Good luck!
Back to top Go down
dero
Admin
dero

factor II/Pradaxa? Empty
PostSubject: Re: factor II/Pradaxa?   factor II/Pradaxa? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 24, 2011 4:04 pm

Just to let you know...
I have been on Pradax since July 2011, my hematologist did prescribe it to me as a "off label" drug, she knows that Warfarin and me do not fair real well with me...
My health insurance covers it.
Sure I'm aware about the fact that it does not have a reversal option, but compare to NOT being able to live life normally (that is how it is for me with warfarin), I'm ready to take that chance.
We have been reading a lot of lit about folks having bleedings while on Pradax and others dying, but if you sift through all those reports, you can see that they were seniors (over 75 y.o.) and had renal problems.
I'm 51 and had my kidney checked and it is not an issue.
If anybody is thinking of starting Pradax (or Pradaxa) have your kidneys checked...
Back to top Go down
http://www.lifeafterdvt.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

factor II/Pradaxa? Empty
PostSubject: Re: factor II/Pradaxa?   factor II/Pradaxa? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

factor II/Pradaxa?
Page 1 of 1