Life DOES go on after DVT
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This site is for people with DVT, seeking comfort and information from others who understand from personal experience.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Water Therapy/Swimming with PTS????

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Jan-Ellen

Water Therapy/Swimming with PTS???? Empty
PostSubject: Water Therapy/Swimming with PTS????   Water Therapy/Swimming with PTS???? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 08, 2011 2:18 pm

sunny I love to swim, in both an indoor heated pool and outside in natural bodies of water.
I have not gone swimming since my clot and PTS started in January.
I would like to know if there are any restrictions as regards swimming in heated pools or swimming in cold lake water.
Does heat or cold soothe or aggravate PTS symptoms?
Would heated pool water would increase blood circulation and swelling?
Would cold lake water decrease circulation to the point that blood would stagnate in calves and cause more problems?
I would be using my legs to kick and I kinda think that water bouyancy would act like "neutral" gravity when I lay down at home?
Am I assuming this correctly? I really want to get back to swimming, as I have gained weight since all this happened, and swimming is not hard on my joints.
I just want to make sure it's good for PTS.
It's the cold water vs heated water I am concerned about.
Anyone have any experience or suggestions
Question Thanks
Below is our cat Georgie. She was starving when we found her. She's made up the weight and then some Smile
Water Therapy/Swimming with PTS???? C:\Users\jabba\Pictures\ACEOkittiepics\georgierubbellie
Back to top Go down
Jan-Ellen

PostSubject: Re: Water Therapy/Swimming with PTS????   Water Therapy/Swimming with PTS???? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 08, 2011 2:25 pm

I forgot to ad........do I have to wear the TED hose while swimming? Or is it OK to take them off. I have to admit, at home when I take them off at night my legs swelled right up again. So now I take them off just as I am getting into bed. I wear them from the time I get out of bed to the time I get in bed. I hate having to wear them, they make me feel old. But they do help with swelling. The part I don't like the most is the constant re-adjusting for wrinkles that form around the ankles. If I don't readjust, they cut into my legs. Just the Kendall/Coviden ones do that. The EMS Medline brand is pretty much OK.
Back to top Go down
dero
Admin
dero

PostSubject: Re: Water Therapy/Swimming with PTS????   Water Therapy/Swimming with PTS???? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 08, 2011 4:46 pm

Hi Jan-Ellen,

Swimming and walking are the best exercises you can do, just because it's not a weight bearing on your joints.
When I go swimming, I remove the socks. I can just imagine how uncomfortable wet comp. socks could be...
Also, I don't think hot indoor or cold outdoors really makes a diff.

*BTW, I'm the one that moved the posts to a more suitable forum, you had this in "Cerebral Thrombosis"*
Back to top Go down
http://www.lifeafterdvt.forumotion.com
Jan-Ellen

PostSubject: Re: Water Therapy/Swimming with PTS????   Water Therapy/Swimming with PTS???? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 09, 2011 5:27 pm

Thanks for the info, now I won't be afraid to go swimming.
Thanks, too, for moving the post to the proper board.
I thought I was just making a new post.
Eventually I'll get the hang of it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Water Therapy/Swimming with PTS????   Water Therapy/Swimming with PTS???? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Water Therapy/Swimming with PTS????
Page 1 of 1