Life DOES go on after DVT
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This site is for people with DVT, seeking comfort and information from others who understand from personal experience.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Excercises after DVT, yes or no?

Go down 
+5
brendablackburn
Gismo
Sharon
Justin
dero
9 posters
AuthorMessage
dero
Admin
dero

Excercises after DVT, yes or no? Empty
PostSubject: Excercises after DVT, yes or no?   Excercises after DVT, yes or no? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 15, 2007 6:19 pm

In several studies looking at early mobility after DVT, selected patients began supervised walking exercise either immediately after being diagnosed and starting anticoagulants and compression therapy (bandages or stockings), or on the second day after beginning treatment. These patients were no more likely to develop PE in the subsequent days and months than patients who were initially told to stay immobilized in bed. (more...)

Other sites

http://www.velogirls.com/resources/publications/dvt.pdf
http://www.portlandfit.com/forums/index.php?s=b932f75a8faa2a4ea827b327089b3adc&showtopic=1374&pid=5529&st=0&#entry5529
http://www.thrombosisjournal.com/content/2/1/8
http://www.jssm.org/suppls/10/Suppl.10.p30-34.pdf
http://www.experthydration.com/qanda.html

Last edited by dero on Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:26 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.lifeafterdvt.forumotion.com
Justin

Justin

PostSubject: Re: Excercises after DVT, yes or no?   Excercises after DVT, yes or no? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2008 12:11 am

I had DVT and PE three months ago, along with serious swelling in my affected leg. Now I am riding an exersise bike tension high 8 miles in 31-32 mins. everyday. My goal is 10 in 30min.

I am also back to regular exercise and activities. I slowly worked myself into this and now I feel great... Less swelling and less pain in my leg.. I am definetly not saying hey you jump out there and do it, but it is something you might want to look into.

Dont let dvt change your life. Change yourself for your life.
Back to top Go down
Justin

Justin

PostSubject: Re: Excercises after DVT, yes or no?   Excercises after DVT, yes or no? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2008 12:12 am

oh the last sentence was supposed to say dont let dvt take your life..oops
Back to top Go down
Sharon

Sharon

PostSubject: Re: Excercises after DVT, yes or no?   Excercises after DVT, yes or no? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 18, 2008 1:58 am

Congrats on your accomplishments Justin. I have never been thrilled about exercise and feel the same about it after DVT--so I don't intend to let it change me either! LOL--I do have great admiration for those who do have the discipline. Keep it up!
Back to top Go down
dero
Admin
dero

PostSubject: Re: Excercises after DVT, yes or no?   Excercises after DVT, yes or no? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 05, 2008 12:52 am

I work in the theatre world, I'm a stage technician which is a physically demanding type of job, during a normal day, I will walk a lot, lift, climb latters and climb many stairs. I have noticed that in the last week, I have regainned the same leg mobility(or close to) and strenght I had,before I got my DVT last summer. It has been a struggle, many times I would have to stop and take breaks after climbing a set of stairs, my leg would swell up and hurt, but since I have started wearing the compression sock(again), I have noticed an enormous difference.(sounds like a commercial)
Who needs a "stair master" or "weight lifting machines" when you work in this type of an environment, all to say that as soon as you feel good about doing what you use to do, DO IT.
Mentally end physically you will feel so much better in your body.

*This has not been a paid advertisment for the body, it's how I feel.* cheers
Back to top Go down
Gismo

Gismo

PostSubject: Re: Excercises after DVT, yes or no?   Excercises after DVT, yes or no? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 21, 2008 12:06 pm

dero wrote:
I have noticed an enormous difference.(sounds like a commercial)

*This has not been a paid advertisment for the body, it's how I feel.* cheers

LOL!!! Seems like you belong ON stage! Wink jocolor
Back to top Go down
brendablackburn

brendablackburn

PostSubject: Re: Excercises after DVT, yes or no?   Excercises after DVT, yes or no? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 04, 2008 2:46 pm

How about stretches? (i.e. sitting on floor, legs straight out, and doing touch toe exercise. It's part of my regular exercise routine (cool-down), which I haven't returned to post-dvt yet... today was my first day--with Gismo across the planet). Smile Behind my knee still hurts, because it's only been a couple of months, and that's where the worst of it is I believe... in my poplitereal(sp?) vein. I imagine stretching can't hurt, but am nervous. Rolling Eyes alien monkey
Back to top Go down
http://www.meetup.com/DVT-Support-Group-of-the-Lower-Mainland/
Kristina

PostSubject: Re: Excercises after DVT, yes or no?   Excercises after DVT, yes or no? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 08, 2008 10:55 am

With me being into partnered dancing, it has been a slow haul towards regaining my "dance legs." Not there yet (7 months), but still have hope. Two months ago, I got a Wii Fit and LOVE it. It shows me my "best scores" and tracks my improvment in each category. The exercises are do-able, even with a wonky leg. I particularly like the balance exercises because they work the ankles, reaction time, and finer motor skills. Even though I don't do it everyday, I HAVE noticed a difference in my balance and reaction time. For me, it was well worth the investment! Only problem? My husband and I are now having marital "spats" about who gets to use it!!!! Laughing
Back to top Go down
peachesingeorgia

peachesingeorgia

PostSubject: Re: Excercises after DVT, yes or no?   Excercises after DVT, yes or no? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 23, 2008 12:07 am

Right now shopping is my biggest excercise. You can walk along way in a Super walmart, Costco or Target!
Back to top Go down
Gaby2406

PostSubject: Re: Excercises after DVT, yes or no?   Excercises after DVT, yes or no? Icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2009 4:31 pm

I was just diagnosed with dvt about 3 weeks ago I'm only 26...it's been really hard I have my son in sports and we like to do family things but I try it just hurts my leg gets hard and it starts to swell.... I'm trying to deal with it all and trying to move around but it hurts... I was fine I got into a car accident it didn't look bad I was trying to move like before but I couldn't and then I woke up one day and I couldn't feel my leg and that is when I was diagnosed with dvt I dunno if it was the accident or something with me but I'm so confused.... I'm going to keep trying to move cause I can't let this stop me but sometimes it seems so hard I can't even wear jeans not even the stretchy ones Sad
Back to top Go down
Sunny Days Richie

PostSubject: Re: Excercises after DVT, yes or no?   Excercises after DVT, yes or no? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 4:42 pm

So, I'm assuming that these cases of creating another clot post DVT are only if the person works out while they still have the clot in them? Or are they verifying that the clot is gone first, before another clot is created?
Back to top Go down
dero
Admin
dero

PostSubject: Re: Excercises after DVT, yes or no?   Excercises after DVT, yes or no? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 27, 2011 7:01 pm

Oh, that's what you meant, no,no, no.
If I understand your question properly, what happens in the 4 to 6 weeks post diagnose is that the actual clot melds with the interior of the vein where it presently is, it will become scar tissue. So if in THAT 4 to 6 weeks you exert too much while doing any physical activity, you MAY dislodge THAT clot and it may travel to your lungs (pulmonary embolism).That is why they tell you to take it easy,that is if your body allows you to do anything.

That is the soul purpose for anticoagulants, to make sure that no other clot develop.
Back to top Go down
Sunny Days Richie

PostSubject: Re: Excercises after DVT, yes or no?   Excercises after DVT, yes or no? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 28, 2011 5:51 pm

Oh ok. I thought I read somewhere that there was a study done where a couple of people were bed ridden after a DVT and another set of people were told to work out right after DVT. Studies showed that the people that worked out right after ended up with another DVT....

Either way I'm going to take a break from working out until I know this DVT is gone or melds to be on the safe side. I'll be back to my daily jogs hopefully sometime this coming month.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Excercises after DVT, yes or no?   Excercises after DVT, yes or no? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Excercises after DVT, yes or no?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Life DOES go on after DVT :: Post DVT :: Excercise after DVT...-
Jump to: