Life DOES go on after DVT
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This site is for people with DVT, seeking comfort and information from others who understand from personal experience.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Another story

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Kristina

Another story Empty
PostSubject: Another story   Another story Icon_minitimeSun Jun 08, 2008 7:12 pm

Hi all,
Another Houstonian joins the group. I am 41-years-old.

Iver the past few years, I have had some swelling in my left foot a few times that took weeks to de-swell, but it never hurt much and ultrasounds were negative. The symptoms were so mild that my friends were betting on stuff like emerging diabetes or allergic reactions. Apparently, I had been having blood clots over the past few years, but the clots stuck to the vein walls and "hid" from the ultrasound. Even this time, with my leg swollen the size of an elephant leg, the ultrasound was negative. A CT scan showed that I had a narrow inferior vena cava. When hospitalized, a venogram showed that the clotting went from my IVC down my left leg past the knee.

After a week and a half of heparin and redivase treatment in the ICU, they removed enough of the clotting to get blood flow back to the heart, but the old clotting had become fibroidous and scarred the walls and many of the side veins. I am not a candidate for stents. I will be on Warfarin, on diuretics, and wearing compression hose for life. I am at low risk for PE, since my veins are too narrow to let any clots make it back to my heart.

I have been out of the hospital for a month and a half. My energy and ability to walk are returning, the swelling has somewhat minimized (only an inch and a half difference between the two legs), and the occasional shooting pains in my upper thigh are decreasing in intensity and amount. I am faithfully going to physical therapy, taking my meds, and following doctor's orders. I am back at work, which has helped tremendously with my emotional well-being. My doctor tells me that he thinks I can get back to my usual physical activities soon.

A few things have really gotten me through the past few months to get me through the moments when I feel depressed:

The internet.

Making jokes about anything and everything. Didn't matter how awful as long as I was laughing.

my husband, who has not only been supportive, but works in the hospital where I was treated and knows heart/vein lingo.

being a medical case manager. coordinating stuff helped make me feel "in control"

My blog. Writing out everything helped me keep more centered and quickly updated friends on what was going on with me, so I had same-day support when I needed it.

Thanks for the site! GOod to hear about other's experiences. Very helpful to get an idea of time-frames and tips for getting on with our lives.
Back to top Go down
Sharon

Sharon

Another story Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another story   Another story Icon_minitimeFri Jun 27, 2008 3:31 am

Kristina--Where are you in Houston? I live in Friendswood and work in Clear Lake. Aren't good husbands a blessing? --sb
Back to top Go down
Annemarie

Annemarie

Another story Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another story   Another story Icon_minitimeSat Jun 28, 2008 6:49 am

Hi there, I am new too...I was also glad to find the site...It helps talking to people in the same situation.
Glad to hear your husband is suportive...my husband is taking it hard,,I cannot talk to him about how I feel it upsets him , doesn't touch me..think I might break or starts to bleed, so he is on the avoiding me stage.., and he is irritated and struggle to cope, quit his business to run mine which is a better income...I cannot work for 6 months as I am a horseriding instructor.

I also just want to watch comedys and hear jokes....I realy think we all need to be light of heart and give ourselves a break...and just be...not worry about the future and how we are going to cope? GOD WILL PROVIDE for us, we just need to ask and trust,

God bless you and good luck!
Back to top Go down
Gismo

Gismo

Another story Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another story   Another story Icon_minitimeMon Jun 30, 2008 6:51 am

Hi Kristina

Thanks for sharing your story. I for one have not heard of the condition affecting someone like it has for you or that the clots could "hide" from the ultrasound. I found your post very informative.

I am so glad that they have now found the problem and are treating it now. Its also great to hear that you are getting so much support from your husband and friends.

Good luck and do stay in touch!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Another story Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another story   Another story Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Another story
Page 1 of 1