Life DOES go on after DVT
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This site is for people with DVT, seeking comfort and information from others who understand from personal experience.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

My story

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
charrison

My story  Empty
PostSubject: My story    My story  Icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2013 9:40 pm

Hello all ,

Fist time when I try a forum - 1 week since diagnosed with DVT - same as everyone I read about going through the learning curve ( what is this all about ) and dealing with the emotional part.
Here is my story - I will make it short
I am 45 , female , living in Canada . One year ago to date actually , diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes . Good management , good test results . Insulin dependant which helped me deal with the Heparin injections easier. I do after all give mysef already 3-5 shots a day .

In Christmas time my father health took a turn for the worse and I travelled back for his last days and funeral . Here is the key to the story : travel by plane , the trip took over 30 hours due to winter travelling etc . Sudden cramp in my leg while there , treated with Advil and stretching . The return trip was a bit shorter ( aprox 20 hrs door to door ) but my left leg was very swollen . Went to fam dr / emergency - diagnosed , been on heparin injections for about 1 week and now on Warfarin . I am under direct care from the Anticoagulation Clinic - my last INR was 2.2 - yesterday .
My leg is better and in 2 days I go for my stockings fitting .

I have made progress in educating myself but most important for me now is come to terms with all this . Still grieving my dad and now this . This is after last year I had to accept a chronic condition like diabetes type 1 . I used to be a fairly healthy person , no major issues , moderate activity and weight very well controlled .
Last night I panicked - did not tell my hubby ( super suportive otherwise ) but I only had horror images in my head of PE and heart attacks etc ) . And I have a young child to raise .
This is it for the moment - I hope to hear from you guys - hearing real life stories helps.

Back to top Go down
dero
Admin
dero

My story  Empty
PostSubject: Re: My story    My story  Icon_minitimeWed Jan 23, 2013 12:33 am

Firstly Charrison, I'm am deeply sorry for your lost.
As much as I hate to welcome people to LADVT (I rather meet people under better circumstances) I am glad you found us.

All the people here have lived and survived a DVT incident. It can be a roller coaster ride (physically and mentally) or not. I have experienced both since 2007.
There are many sites/forum on the www that offer either false or badly presented information, here at LADVT we try to stay as close to science as possible. I have been a patient under the care of Hemotalogists that are part of a major International research team, the Thrombosis Assessment and Treatment unit at the Ottawa Hospital that is also linked to the Ottawa University Medicine dept. We try to have the latest in DVT literature available for you to read and take advantage to help your recovery.
Sometimes, we do read info that can trigger panic attacks, (been there, done that) sure there are freak cases, but if your INR is therapeutic you should not have to worry about heart attacks and PEs.
Worst case, if this uncertainty does persist, the best thing is to go to the nearest ER and have a Dr.check you out (D-dimmer, Doppler test,Ultra Sound test). I always say, better waste time at the hospital as oppose to not go and be sorry...
If you have ANY questions, please ask, if we don't have the answers, we can find them, many of us are members at various other DVT patient support groups.
Back to top Go down
http://www.lifeafterdvt.forumotion.com

My story
Page 1 of 1